User Tools

Site Tools


Navigation


aixcon PowerSystems GmbH

Steinfurt 26
D-52222 Stolberg (map)

Tel.: +49 (0) 2402 12210
FAX: +49 (0) 2402 122122


Impressum

Composite Pipe

aixcon is the market leader of longitudinal seam welded aluminum composite pipes. According to a 2009 market research study, more than 60% of the worldwide aluminum composite pipe production is TIG-welded with butt joints. The remaining 40% are laser welded or welded with lap joints.

All TIG-welded composite pipes with butt joints are exclusively welded with aixcon's welding units. In a continuous production process, aluminum sheets are manufactured with a thickness between 0.15mm and 1.5mm and a production speed of up to 60m/min (~200ft/min).

aixcon's developers deployed the first AC TIG-Welding unit for a composite pipe production line almost 20 years ago. Multilayer composite pipes consist of various different layers with differing materials to improve upon their characteristics.

Conventionally, an aluminum sheath is molded around a polyethylene pipe (e.g. PE-X, where the X stands for “meshed”). The aluminum edges are welded and the aluminum itself is glued with polyethylene. An additional polyethylene layer is extruded to form a protective sleeve. Likewise, this layer is also glued with the aluminum. These materials demand a sophisticated welding process.

Multi-layer composite pipes are inherently stable while maintaining a low mass and their handling is convenient and straightforward.


Multilayer composite pipes are preferred for several applications:

  • Water installation
  • Floor heating
  • Compressed air supply
  • Gas supplies
  • Industrial piping
Print this!Mail this!